Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Benefits of Bible Study - A Teacher's Tale


Guest Blog from Katherine, a teacher in the Teleios Bible Study Program 

This past February, I had the great joy of being a Bible study teacher with Teleios’ Bible study program. When I was first offered the chance of being a teacher, I was hesitant and a little scared. I felt unqualified and unworthy of leading someone else through the Bible. I was letting my fear and anxiety overcome the potential to change someone’s life. I had several people in my life reminding me that I was indeed capable and qualified, but like all things in my life, it took trust and peace in God that gave me the push I needed. I had to remind myself that this fear and feeling of unworthiness was not coming from my God but from the enemy. 2 Timothy 1:7 says, “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” I had all the resources I needed because I have the Spirit of the Lord dwelling in me. 

Once I accepted the opportunity to be a teacher, some of the fear was still there but now I had confidence that God was going to use me for his glory, which is far bigger than my fear. Soon after, I was assigned to my student, and I got to jump right in. With the materials and guidance I received from Teleios, I felt prepared to lead my student through the scriptures. 

For the next four weeks, I spent time getting to know my student and introducing her to the four-step inductive method of studying the Bible. After each week, I saw that not only was my student learning something new, but I was as well. One of the most interesting things about studying the Bible with someone is hearing the observations they make that differ from your own. It’s a beautiful reminder that the Word of God can always teach you something new no matter how many times you read it.

By the end of the 4 weeks, I had a new confidence in my worth and qualifications to teach the gospel. Throughout the process, I was reminded that there’s no amount of reading or teaching that can prepare you for the real thing. The best way to learn is through experience. And it was an amazing experience. It has encouraged me to take on a leadership role with my campus ministry as a student discipler. I am so excited to see how God will change my life and others now that I have stepped into this area of ministry. 

It’s amazing what God can do in your life if you just simply say yes!

For questions or to view more of our research…

No comments:

Post a Comment